Subject: [Boost-users] [boost::pool] using many pools in the application
From: Roman Shmelev (rshmelev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-29 09:34:53

Hi,

Are there any thoughts if using many boost::pool objects ( from 50 to
1000 to maybe 5000 ) in my application will be efficient or not?
During the "long" run my program just allocates new chunks, and the
deletion of them is done in the end of the program.
The reason I use boost::pool is that my simple tests showed me that
boost::pool allocates memory 10x faster than standard _new_ operator.

But I'm suffering that 1000 pools will cause some kind of memory
fragmentation or smth like that... so maybe it will be better to use
_new_ operator? I can make some another test for multiple pools, but
we know that real application will act in some other way, and I cannot
make a decision.

P.S.:MS VS2005, XpSp2_x86, boost 1.35 (if any ideas, I'll upgrade to
the newest boost version)

thank you!