Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Installing Boost.MPI [bjam]
From: John Phillips (phillips_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-29 09:48:43

Raymond Wan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need some help with building Boost.MPI. My system is a Debian testing
> (lenny) system and I'm following the instructions at [lenny uses 1.35
> and not 1.36]:
>
> ... [snip]
>
> Firstly, I'm not sure if I have everything installed... But I also
> don't know what the "top-level Boost directory" is. I've tried these
> locations:
>
> /usr/share/boost-build/
> /usr/share/boost-build/build/
> /usr/share/boost-build/tools/ [it had an mpi.jam file in it]
> /usr/include/boost/
>
> And also replaced "using mpi ;" with "using mpi : /usr/bin/mpic++ ;".
> I'm currently trying this as root user, so I don't think root privileges
> is the problem. (bjam came with a "Hello World" example and that
> compiled fine; so I don't think it's something wrong with bjam.)
>
> Any help would be appreciated... Thanks!
>
> Ray

   Ray,

   I think your trouble is with the "top level directory." It is the
directory that holds the initial boost download. It has things in it
like a directory called "boost" (that holds the actual code for the
libraries), one called "doc" (that holds a few documents, but not most
of them), one called "lib" (that holds most of the documentation and
examples for the libraries), and most importantly the top level jamfile
for bjam to create boost libraries. That is where you need to be when
you run bjam to make the MPI library. The rest sounds like it is
probably fine, and we can look at it more closely if this doesn't work.

                        John