Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [dataflow]Component Library
From: Duane McKinney (duane.mckinney_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-25 12:35:19

> If you're talking about packaging the components in a shared library,
> yes - at one point I put together an example that shows how to package
> a shared component using the Extension library:
I think I was being a bit ambitious. What I was thinking, is possibly a
source forge project (or sandbox/wherever) which had boost::dataflow
components that people had written, and had decided to share. My
experience in this area comes from gstreamer (gstreamer.freedesktop.org)
which provides a library similar to boost::dataflow, but also provides
libraries of componets for multimedia processing.
My previous example was probably a poor one, because it would be better
implemented in boost::gil. But if there were a library maintained of
sources, components, and sinks. It would be helpful. It is likely that
this would become a project on its own however.
Maybe you could list GStreamer in your "Support for more layers" section
of the documentation. I don't know if it would be something I would be
capable of, if it makes sense, or how feasible it would be.

> http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2008/09/40272.php
>
> I am currently rewriting dataflow, and my first major goal is to have
> a dataflow system that makes extensive use of such libraries of
> components.
>
> Best,
>
> Stjepan
Thank you for you terrific work.