Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [dataflow]Component Library
From: Stjepan Rajko (stjepan.rajko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-26 17:33:37

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Duane McKinney
<duane.mckinney_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I think I was being a bit ambitious. What I was thinking, is possibly a
> source forge project (or sandbox/wherever) which had boost::dataflow
> components that people had written, and had decided to share.

Oh, I see :-) That's a great idea, but the prerequisite would be some
sort of a stable release of dataflow... as it's being re-written, it
might take a little time to get to that point.

> My experience
> in this area comes from gstreamer (gstreamer.freedesktop.org) which provides
> a library similar to boost::dataflow, but also provides libraries of
> componets for multimedia processing.
> My previous example was probably a poor one, because it would be better
> implemented in boost::gil. But if there were a library maintained of
> sources, components, and sinks. It would be helpful. It is likely that
> this would become a project on its own however.
> Maybe you could list GStreamer in your "Support for more layers" section of
> the documentation. I don't know if it would be something I would be capable
> of, if it makes sense, or how feasible it would be.

I remember looking at GStreamer, and IIRC it gave me the impression
that one could not build a C++ - only GStreamer app. I could be
wrong, though - perhaps you can share your experience on this?

> Thank you for you terrific work.

Thank you for your encouraging comment! (and the component repository idea)

Stjepan