Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Review] UUID library (mini-)review starts today, November 23rd
From: Andy Tompkins (atompkins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-27 00:06:17

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:27:42 -0500, "Dave Jenkins"
<david_at_[hidden]> said:
> > - What is your evaluation of the design?
>
> I like the design, but wish it had time-based UUIDs.

Understood. I will look into this again.

> > - What is your evaluation of the implementation?
>
> I had no problem reading the code. But there's almost nothing in
> "uuid.ipp". Could you merge it into "uuid.hpp" for simplicity?

I could. The idea was to put non-template functions in uuid.ipp so that
one could compile it in a .cpp to create a library. I agree that there
is little in it. I should have moved the definition of many uuid member
function to uuid.ipp. But I think you are right, I should just merge
uuid.ipp into uuid.hpp.

> > - What is your evaluation of the documentation?
>
> I'd like to see the Rationale section come first, before you give the
> whole Class Synopsis. That would make it easier for casual readers to
> understand the purpose of the library before reading further.

Good idea. I'll do this.

> A small example program near the beginning of the document would
> help too.

Sure. I'll do this.

> There is a spelling error in the Rationale section,
> s/indended/intended/.

Thanks.

> > - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the
> > library?
>
> It's a nice addition to Boost.
>
> > - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have
> > any problems?
>
> Yes, I tried running some test code and had no problems.
>
> I vote Yes, to include the UUID library in Boost.
>
> Regards, Dave Jenkins

Thanks,
  Andy Tompkins