Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Need help with Xcode - simple RegEx test app crashes on OS X (Darwin)
From: Thomas Tempelmann (tt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-20 06:29:37

On 20.12.2008 9:58 Uhr, "John Maddock" wrote:

> I don't really know what the issue is, but the failure is inside
> std::vector's destructor, my guess is this indicates maybe two different
> runtime libraries are in play or something?

Yes, could be.

The thing is that the libs get built by using the std libs installed in
/usr/lib and whatnot. While Xcode projects may use their own runtime libs.
Not sure, though.

> What I suggest you do is remove the reference to the regex library in your
> test app, and instead add the regex source (in libs/regex/src/) directly to
> your app.

Yes, that works just fine.

So, maybe, until this gets resolved, you could have a note added to the unix
install page for Mac Xcode users:

For use with Xcode, you can skip the entire build process (as with
"./configure" and "make install"), and instead just move the boost folder to
a convenient central place, such as "/Library", maybe adding a symlink from
the versioned boost folder to "/Library/boost", and then add
"/Library/boost/boost" to the include paths in your Xcode project.
And if you want to use any of the functions that would usually require
precompiled libs, such as regex, simply add their "libs/<libname>/src"
folder to the Xcode project.

And maybe a warning that the precompiled libs generated by the default build
process may crash when used with Xcode projects.

Thomas