Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [MPI] Efficient way to have views on arrays
From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-21 02:00:10

On Dec 19, 2008, at 9:30 PM, Matthieu Brucher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've started to use the MPI Boost library in conjunction with the
> usual C library. I'lm trying to get as much as possible done with
> Boost directly.
> I'd like to use it in a parallel finite difference loop. This means
> that before each iteration I have to send a strip of my computed data
> to each neighbor (getting the neighbors is done through a C MPI
> function). This can be done with MPI_Type_vector (constant-stride
> data) in C. Does someone know how it can be done with Boost.MPI ?

This is not directly supported but will be easy to add by overloading
the get_mpi_datatype function and specializing the is_mpi_datatype
traits class for your type. get_mpi_datatype should create the
appropriate MPI Datatype using MPI_Type_vector.

The nicer way will be to make tis more general by creating a
strided_array wrapper for Boost.Serialization and to overload
get_mpi_datatype for that wrapper - this will make it more useful for
other classes.

Matthias