Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::interprocess on FreeBSD 7
From: Andy Wiese (andyw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-21 02:21:13

On Dec 20, 2008, at 6:34 PM, Ion Gaztañaga wrote:

> Andy Wiese wrote:
>> Ion,
>> Thank you so much for your willingness to help. I will be happy to
>> help any way I can to test and debug the FreeBSD configuration if
>> you can keep up the suggestions. I have to do this work as a
>> sideline to some other major deliverables for the next couple
>> weeks, so I apologize for the lag but will try be as responsive as
>> I can.
>
> Ok. I've just finished downloading 3CDs of FreeBSD but I can't tell
> you how much time I will need to install it in a virtual machine ;-)
>
>> I tried your suggestion and had these two results:
>> boost_trunk:
>> When I switched to trunk I ran into a linking problem that stopped
>> me (on both OS-X GCC 4.0.1 and FreeBSD GCC 4.2.1 )
>
> It's a bug, file_mapping::swap was not marked as inline. I've just
> solved it in trunk.
>
>> BOOST_INTERPROCESS_FORCE_GENERIC_EMULATION
>> On FreeBSD with GCC 4.2.1:
>> This option did change the behavior. It now throws BAD_ACCESS in
>> atomic_cas32, instead of in the pthread mutex. The stack trace from
>> gdb:
>
> Uggh! No ideas of what might be. I'll need to install FreeBSD
> somewhere to test this. Thanks for the info, I'll try to bring you
> some good news in a few weeks.
>
> Ion

Wow. That's super cool. I have backed off my implementation to another
approach which can do without the interprocess stuff, but at a great
performance cost. I can make progress on my work without interprocess
for a few weeks. I am far from expert in either boost or FreeBSD, but
if there is anything I can do to help please let me know.