Subject: Re: [Boost-users] top posting and other bad habits
From: Maik Beckmann (beckmann.maik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-27 04:53:20

Am Dienstag 27 Januar 2009 schrieb raindog_at_[hidden]:
> I know its a rule, but I think it is dumb. My phone does not even support
> botting posting for example, does that mean I'm not allowed to post to this
> newgroup? my guess is that it started off with a few people wanting to
> separate themselves from others by usage of arbitrary rules in order to
> obtain some form of "l33tn3$$" without having actually considering the
> merits or lack thereof ubtil after their motives were question in which
> scenario artificial ones were created to support the habbit.

You are trolling, as you did before:
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.user/43825/focus=43840
Please stop it.

> Modern mail clients (my phone not one of them) support threaded mail
> anyways and so what you get is the same email. 100 times in a thread.

Heh? Sound like over-quoting, which is as bad habit as top posting.

> There has been the argument that if you were ob a forum that they go by
> bottom posting but again modern mail clients support threading anyways, and
> I don't know about you, but I can't recall the last time I was reading a
> forum and every post included included the entirety of the posts to the
> thread prior.

A forum thread doesn't support sub-threads, this is why its so hard to
follow a long discussion.

> Lastly, why would you ever want to pick up a thread by reading the middle
> of it? Using the forum analogy, one would be hard pressed to find someone
> whose month was to always read a thread by starting on page 12, so, group
> by thread and read from the start

Again: Forums != Mailing list.

-- Maik

PS: Be nice. Eric and the other C++ Overlords give you support on boost free
of charge. Not to top post if he asks you to isn't a big deal. It results in
you having the info you want and Eric spending less time on giving you the
info.