Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost books [was RE: Hi]
From: Peter Barker (newbarker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-06 07:02:26

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Björn Karlsson
<Bjorn.Karlsson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I'm very happy to hear that you still find my Boost book (Beyond the C++ Library - An Introduction to Boost) useful. I agree that a new revision is needed, but have to admit that I don't currently have one planned.
>
> Also note that there are a couple of other Boost books out there:
>
> * C++ Template Metaprogramming: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques from Boost and Beyond, by David Abrahams and Aleksey Gurtovoy.
> * The Boost Graph Library: User Guide and Reference Manual, by Jeremy G. Siek, Lie-Quan Lee, and Andrew Lumsdaine.
>
> Keep reading!
>
> Best regards,
> Bjorn Karlsson

Thanks for a good book. My copy's now sitting on a colleague's desk
who seems to be finding it useful also.

Agree that C++ Template Metaprogramming is a good book. I read that
one late last year pretty much start to finish on a week's holiday in
Menorca, Spain. I have a very understanding partner :) Trouble is I
don't have an immediate use for the techniques presented in the book
so I'll not use it and consequently I'll forget it. Maybe I'm too set
in runtime dispatch ways? The whole thing led nicely to a discussion
of DSELs and Boost.Spirit which is why I want to use Spirit2 so much
as I have a large variety of file formats I want to parse for an
upcoming application.

Learning the Boost Graph Library is on the horizon for me too...

Regards,

Pete