Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [asio] sync receive_from with timeout
From: Ovanes Markarian (om_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-04 05:40:52

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Igor R <boost.lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > Asio or Boost::Threads simply ignore each other and nowhere in the docs
> > of asio is stated smth about boost::threads, but as it seems asio socket
> > when it waits for input is in such an interruption point (may be it uses
> > boost::threads internally)
>
> Are you sure asio launches threads, besides the ones you supplied for
> io_service::run()?

No, that was not my point. If you use a socket from multiple threads and
read data from it, socket blocks waiting for input. My point was, that this
blocking wait is recognized by boost::thread lib as a valid interruption
point. And my suggestion would be to state in the docs of Asio that
synchronous wait operation is a valid interruption point for boost::thread.
Sorry for misleading words. Therefore interrupting the thread should
interrupt the synchronous wait.