Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Integrating boost into project version control
From: Sohail Somani (sohail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-24 13:15:42

Kenneth Porter wrote:
> Should I import Boost sources into my repo, rebuilding on each developer's
> system as part of the normal whole-project build, or should I install a
> binary distro of Boost on each developer's system? The former guarantees
> that the repo always contains the source used to build our binaries, but at
> the cost of longer build times to build Boost each time the project is
> built.

I've done both and the best by far is that the repo contains the source
code. This means that the developers build boost but the longer build
times don't really matter except for the first build.

The benefit of this is that it democratizes the process of adding a new
boost library which may or may not be what you want. Previously, people
would need to request a library added to the build. Now they can do it
themselves by copy-and-wasting build scripts where necessary. It also
makes it much easier to try out new configurations.

FWIW, I also use SCons for pretty much everything.

--
Sohail Somani
http://uint32t.blogspot.com