Subject: [Boost-users] Integrating boost into project version control
From: Kenneth Porter (shiva_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-23 21:18:11

I have an existing C++ project that uses a few 3rd party libraries. It's
maintained in a Subversion repository and the libraries are imported into
the repository using the Subversion "vendor branch" paradigm together with
Subversion "externals".

I want to add Boost to the project, and am looking for guidance from others
who have a project in Subversion:

Should I import Boost sources into my repo, rebuilding on each developer's
system as part of the normal whole-project build, or should I install a
binary distro of Boost on each developer's system? The former guarantees
that the repo always contains the source used to build our binaries, but at
the cost of longer build times to build Boost each time the project is
built.

I'm currently building with Visual Studio 2005 and 2008, and will
eventually be cross-compiling for an embedded Linux system.