Subject: [Boost-users] linking agaisnt boost
From: arun ramakrishnan (smartnutty007_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-24 19:49:06

A nube question . I have been trying to understand the whole link process in VC++ . I use visual studio 8. I was trying to install the prebuild boost libs from boostpro and I tried to build my source against  1) , 2) and 3) . The three are. 1)Multithread, static runtime libboost_thread-vc80-mt-s-1_38.lib 2)Multithread libboost_thread-vc80-mt-1_38.lib 3)Multithread , DLL boost_thread-vc80-mt-1_38.dll boost_thread-vc80-mt-1_38.lib   I expected there to be Multithreaded static lib and then a multithreaded dynamic shared dll . Just 2 of them , not 3 . Could someone explain the need for 3 and not just 2. OR point me to a article or something please . I have vaguely figured that 1) static boost and static CRT . 2) static boost and dynamic CRT. 3) dynamic boost and dynamic CRT. am i right ?    I believe boost automatically picks up the right libs based on your project . So , when i tried to build a simple project using these libs . while using the /MT option for code generation , 1) was used as I expected it to. while using the /MD option for code generation , it linked to 2) .  I am not able to build using 3) , in spite of a lot of probing into the VC8 configuration options . Also , what configuration would be needed to make my project use the boost dll i.e 3).   thanks in advance .