Subject: [Boost-users] unicode, C++0x, UTF-16
From: Brent Arias (Brent.Arias_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-25 21:23:37

I see that wstring_convert and codecvt_utf8_utf16 are in the current C++0x spec. Are there plans to backfill boost with implementations for these?

I'm also curious why the critique of wstring_convert (http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1750.html) was not incorporated for C++0x. Thoughts?

I've also spotted a comment in boost codecvt_utf8_facet saying:

// note the following code will generate on some platforms where
// wchar_t is defined as UCS2. The warnings are superfluous as
// the specialization is never instantitiated with such compilers.

Does that mean that boost.codecvt_utf8_facet is capable of acting as a UTF-8 / UCS2 converter on a Windows box, where wchar_t is 2 bytes in size?

Brent Arias
Software Architect
Lumension Security(tm)
Tel ~ (602) 692-8088
Fax ~ (480) 970-6323
brent.arias_at_[hidden]<mailto:brent.arias_at_[hidden]>