Subject: [Boost-users] [Q] eliminating false memory leak reports
From: V S P (toreason_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-30 17:36:47

Hello,
I have a class (below),
and MS memory leak detector reports a leak
on ptr.reset

I have redefined 'new' as follows:

 #define MYDEBUG_NEW new( _NORMAL_BLOCK, __FILE__, __LINE__)

In another example, also below I have
an _impl structure that is allocated and assign
typedef boost::shared_ptr<cmoney_impl_dtl> t_money_storage;

My understanding is that it is a 'false' detection
is that correct?

In otherwords, in my thinking -- as long as I have assigned an object
to boost::shared_ptr -- I do not have remember anything about it
anymore.

(using visual studio 2008, 32 bit)

Another question, since I have all of my heap objects using
boost::shared_ptr
is there any free tool that I can use to verify that those things do not
leak
(as some of the are actually DB connections so it is important for them
get completely destroyed).

Thank you in advance

----------------------------

template <typename TThrdData>
struct CService_ThreadData:private boost::noncopyable
{
   CService_ThreadData (void){};
   ~CService_ThreadData (void){};

///creates a new thread data object if does not exists
//Call this from every thread to establish thread's data
//manager object
static TThrdData& getdata(void)
 {
   /* YES, using static variable in this case is safe,
   because it is in the 'global' scope and therefore
   is intialized before Main starts

   Otherwise, static variables are not thread safe
   */
   if (ptr.get() == 0)
   {
      ptr.reset(new TThrdData());
   }
   return (TThrdData&)(*ptr);
 }

private:
   static boost::thread_specific_ptr<TThrdData> ptr;

};//end of class

cmoney_t::cmoney_t (void)
   :v(new cmoney_impl_dtl)
{