Subject: [Boost-users] Thread safe intrusive ptr
From: Jared Lee Richardson (jaredr26_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-03 13:23:01

I'm in the process of changing some of my shared_ptr's to
intrusive_ptr's, and I'm trying to see how difficult it will be to
make it thread-safe.

I need intrusive_ptr's mostly due to size constraints(allocating an
extremely large number of small objects), and also the ThisPtr issue.
I tried to search and find any information about making them
thread-safe, but what I found didn't explain the solution or the
issues.

What are the considerations for making intrusive_ptr thread safe? Is
it as simple as a mutex-lock / atomic counter variable?

Thanks, Jared