Subject: [Boost-users] smaller / decoupled `filesystem' module?
From: tom fogal (tfogal_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-07 14:27:01

I recently had a need to fix some code which got a list of files in a
directory, and needed to work across Linux / OS X 10.4+ / Windows. I
was thinking of unifying it to use boost filesystem instead of some
`#if not posix, do this, #else use opendir/readdir/etc. code.' So I
turned to boost.filesystem.

We're including boost piecemeal in our repo, and so I went to add it
and adapt `filesystem' to our build system. Upon build, it seemed to
require some additional boost headers, so I added them; goto 10. After
a bit of this, I realized the new boost code was quite a bit larger
than my entire ~5 meg repository up to that point: I'd needed to pull
in MPL, for example, which is over > 6 meg.

This is a minor part of the application we're writing, so I can't
really justify the size. Has anybody out there written a `decoupled'
filesystem, with less dependencies on other boost libraries? Even a
trimmed down version would probably suit or needs for quite some time.

Thanks,

-tom