Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost thread conflicts with MFC
From: Mike Marchywka (marchywka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-09 16:04:40

> To: boost-users_at_[hidden]
> Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 12:56:20 -0800
> Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost thread conflicts with MFC
>
> Well, I guess I'm just an amazing guy.
>
> Actually, I'm not all that happy with MFC. But whenver I consider
> something another alternative, I find them lacking. MFC is a huge
> body of code which is (mostly) well documented. I typically need
> and application to support some other project. Recent examples
> have been a GUI interface to and embedded system. My customers
> expect this "tail end" application to be doable in say two weeks or
> so. And they want it to "look like" a "standard" windows app including
> dockable tool bars, menus, email and web connectivity, support
> for things like file drag and drop. etc.

Have you considered java for the gui? You can get platform-look-and-feel
etc but if your customers absolutely need it to look like Windoze, well...
I wouldn't rec it for performance but if you need a gui it
is safe and has a lot stuff and has a native interface. It
is also a bit more portable than MFC LOL.

And, I have to admit I'm still ticked off that the utiliy app
that came with my wireless card has to be killed or, even
while minimized, it uses up all the GDI objects in a few hours and crashes
my machine. If you need to include some production code as an "Afterthought"
java avoids really bad things like memory leaks etc...

> The only thing I see that can do this besides MFC is Visual Basic.
> I haven't looked at C#. But those have even bigger downsides.

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.