Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost thread conflicts with MFC
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-09 16:56:20

Well, I guess I'm just an amazing guy.

Actually, I'm not all that happy with MFC. But whenver I consider
something another alternative, I find them lacking. MFC is a huge
body of code which is (mostly) well documented. I typically need
and application to support some other project. Recent examples
have been a GUI interface to and embedded system. My customers
expect this "tail end" application to be doable in say two weeks or
so. And they want it to "look like" a "standard" windows app including
dockable tool bars, menus, email and web connectivity, support
for things like file drag and drop. etc.

The only thing I see that can do this besides MFC is Visual Basic.
I haven't looked at C#. But those have even bigger downsides.

As I said before, I have a lot of complaints about it, but I don't
seen anything available that is nearly as comprehensive for
windows application development.

Robert Ramey

peter_foelsche_at_[hidden] wrote:
> last time I developed a GUI application for windows (in 1998),
> I was using C++ and Win32.

That might explain it.