Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost thread conflicts with MFC
From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-10 12:38:34

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:21 PM, <peter_foelsche_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> peter_foelsche_at_[hidden] wrote:
>> > last time I developed a GUI application for windows (in 1998),
>> > I was using C++ and Win32.
>>
>> That might explain it.
>

> you mean, MFC has dramatically changed meanwhile?

While I don't advocate MFC (I suggest ATL or WTL), MFC was version 6.x
in 1998. There have been 6 releases since then, and it's now at
version 9.x.

Quote for the latest one from Microsoft's Download Center:

"The VC++ 2008 MFC libraries have been extended to support creation of
applications that have:

    * Office Ribbon style interface

    * Office 2007, Office 2003 and Office XP look and feel

    * Modern Visual Studio-style docking toolbars and panes

    * Fully customizable toolbars and menus

    * A rich set of advanced GUI controls

    * Advanced MDI tabs and groups

    * And much more!"

Robert, one of the nice things about ATL is that it doesn't require
that your application ship with support DLLs like MFC requires.

ATL also uses constructors to initialize objects, instead of two-phase
initialization like MFC.

--Michael Fawcett