Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost thread conflicts with MFC
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-10 14:40:12

Michael Fawcett wrote:

>>> That might explain it.
>>

>> you mean, MFC has dramatically changed meanwhile?
>
> While I don't advocate MFC (I suggest ATL or WTL), MFC was version 6.x
> in 1998. There have been 6 releases since then, and it's now at
> version 9.x.
>
> Quote for the latest one from Microsoft's Download Center:
>
> "The VC++ 2008 MFC libraries have been extended to support creation of
> applications that have:
>
> * Office Ribbon style interface
>
> * Office 2007, Office 2003 and Office XP look and feel
>
> * Modern Visual Studio-style docking toolbars and panes
>
> * Fully customizable toolbars and menus
>
> * A rich set of advanced GUI controls
>
> * Advanced MDI tabs and groups
>
> * And much more!"

Actually for me one should add
    * context sensitive help
    * support for addng 3rd party controls
    * black box support of COM automation
    * free support for file system stuff
    * idiot proof implemenations for things like and
    internet connection with http protocol
    * complete and consistent documentation with
    the same practice and format throughout.

But this all comes with a cost - conflict with other libraries.

It's not that I'm all the crazy about this stuff. It's just that the people
I do this for expect a "professional looking application" (That is some
thing that looks like the applications they are used to). And that won't
pay me to spend any thing more than the minimum time required to get
it done. So I'm addicted to libraries of all kinds.

> Robert, one of the nice things about ATL is that it doesn't require
> that your application ship with support DLLs like MFC requires.

with the installation of VC 9.0 on my system - this has suddenly - without
warning - become a huge problem for me. I downloaded WTL sometime
ago and liked the fact that it would probably be easier for me since I'm
familiar with MFC. I expect that I will try this in the future.

I realise that what I really want is what everyone really wants. A platform
independent GUI library which does what MFC, VB, etc do. Use a wizard
to generate a skeletal application, Layout a GUI, automatically generate a
working app,
fill in the hooks to the backend code. Oh and don't forget real
documentation
with sample applications. Microsoft has done this - but
its a love/hate thing. It works but then I have to deal with a few hacks
with every project to get everything to play together. I suppose that's
why we earn the big bucks.

> ATL also uses constructors to initialize objects, instead of two-phase
> initialization like MFC.

I'll look into it.

Robert Ramey