Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost thread conflicts with MFC
From: Carl Zmola (czmola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-13 15:57:51

Andreas Masur wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2009, at 12:49 AM, Raindog wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> What I don't understand is why nearly every C++ GUI framework out
>> there tries to be the next C++ standard in that they all provide
>> strings, containers, network classes, xml parsers, etc. If you already
>> have a code base, you have to write simple wrappers around everything
>> just so you can communicate with the GUI library.
>
> I agree 100%....this seems to be an (unfortunate) trend with many
> libraries (not only in regards to GUI development either).

Unfortunately some of these libraries are old. MFC and WxWindows have
their own Strings classes because they needed them before the standards
solidified or were well supported. This is just the cost of getting
something done.

In some cases, the interface propagated through the entire system and
can't be easily removed, in others cases, the classes are just there for
backward compatibility and can be ignored.

WxWindows is a nice cross platform gui toolkit, but when you are
targeting MS windows, the native toolkits make it much easier to produce
polished apps.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola