Subject: [Boost-users] Boost & Continuous Integration
From: Robert Dailey (rcdailey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-26 16:40:41

Hey guys,
One of the requirements for a continuous integration process is that the
build for a specific target be quick. Something under 10 minutes is ideal. I
find that when not using precompiled headers, boost can significantly impact
the compilation time of the project. I've experienced 20 minute compiles
when using boost fairly extensively throughout the code base.

So far I only see two obvious solutions to this problem. First, use
precompiled headers. I really don't want to do this because it causes issues
with include dependencies and makes the code not reusable as a result. The
second option is to beef up the machines doing the compiles, however this
can have diminishing returns.

I am sure that a lot of people in the community have had this specific issue
with Boost's compile times, as well as in many other areas. What would you
guys recommend? Is there any other solution beyond the obvious?

Thanks for your time.