Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost & Continuous Integration
From: Robert Dailey (rcdailey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-27 12:03:07

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Noah Roberts <roberts.noah_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> You forgot a third option, split your project into numerous small libraries
> so that any changes require the smallest amount of rebuilding that is
> possible.

This is actually a good idea that I overlooked. Thank you. I mean, I already
modularize my code fairly well, I just never had thought about only testing
components that have changed. I think such a build system might be complex
to make. I'm using CMake primarily for my unit testing system. I wonder if
CMake alone is enough for this. Usually the CI testing is done on the client
machine in my case, but maybe the server could do it as a post-commit? These
are all details that get a bit off-topic, but hopefully I can figure
something out.

The important thing is that I don't have to make any changes to the way I am
using boost (mostly), and I can focus on doing a bit more than naive testing
approach of testing everything regardless of if it changed.