Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost & Continuous Integration
From: Johan Nilsson (r.johan.nilsson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-28 02:54:54

[it would be nice if you could post using plain text]

>"Robert Dailey" <rcdailey_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>>On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Noah Roberts <roberts.noah_at_[hidden]>
>>wrote:

>>You forgot a third option, split your project into numerous small
>>libraries so that any changes require the smallest amount of rebuilding
>>that is >>possible.

>This is actually a good idea that I overlooked. Thank you. I mean, I
>already modularize my code fairly well, I just never had thought about only
>testing >components that have changed. I think such a build system might be
>complex to make. I'm using CMake primarily for my unit testing system. I
>wonder if >CMake alone is enough for this. Usually the CI testing is done
>on the client machine in my case, but maybe the server could do it as a
>post-commit?

CI should definitely always be performed at the server, in combination with
running unit testing at the client. Use a decent CI server (CC, ...) to
support running builds whenever the repo is updated.

>These are all details that get a bit off-topic, but hopefully I can figure
>something out.

Run only an incremental build on the client (including incremental tests).
If you are in a heavily collaborative project/environment, update from the
repo and run the (incremental) tests again before actually
submitting/publishing.

HTH / Johan