Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [iostreams][zip]
From: Andrew Schweitzer (a.schweitzer.grps_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-18 16:46:21

Steven Watanabe wrote:
> AMDG
>
> Andrew Schweitzer wrote:
>> ECHO "source of [$(LIB)_SOURCE]: $($(LIB)_SOURCE) " ;
>>

>> But these don't seem to be printed... any idea what's wrong with that
>> way of debugging a jamfile?
>
> Try ECHO "source of [$(LIB)_SOURCE]:" $($(LIB)_SOURCE) ;
> i.e. move the quote. bjam's rules for variable expansion cause your
> version to produce an empty string when $(LIB)_SOURCE is empty.

Turns out first code worked as well --- branch just wasn't being
entered. ECHO seems a pretty good way to debug jamfiles.

Using ECHO I discovered that -NO_COMPRESSION=0 actually turns
NO_COMPRESSION *on*. So just leaving out all NO_* defines from command
line improves things.

I did discover that bjam iostreams ... doesn't seem to create the
libboost*.lib files... if I tack "stage" onto the end of the command
line they *are* created... but everything is built, not just
iostreams.... I must admit I find bjam fairly confusing.

So adding "stage" caused libboost* files to be created for zlib and
bzip2... but now I get linking errors with bzip2. It complains that
__thiscall boost::iostreams::detail::bzip2_base::~bzip2_base and several
other functions in bzip2_base are not implemented...

hm...