Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [iostreams][zip]
From: Andrew Schweitzer (a.schweitzer.grps_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-18 17:29:58

Steven Watanabe wrote:
> AMDG
>
> Andrew Schweitzer wrote:
>> Turns out first code worked as well --- branch just wasn't being
>> entered. ECHO seems a pretty good way to debug jamfiles.
>
> The first version will work as long as the value actually exists.
>
>> Using ECHO I discovered that -NO_COMPRESSION=0 actually turns
>> NO_COMPRESSION *on*. So just leaving out all NO_* defines from command
>> line improves things.
>>
>> I did discover that bjam iostreams ... doesn't seem to create the
>> libboost*.lib files... if I tack "stage" onto the end of the command
>> line they *are* created... but everything is built, not just
>> iostreams.... I must admit I find bjam fairly confusing.
>
> bjam --with-iostreams stage ...
>
> I believe that this is documented by
> bjam --help
> Incidentally, in 1.38, the files are created under bin.v2 regardless of
> whether
> you specify stage or not, if I remember correctly.
>
>> So adding "stage" caused libboost* files to be created for zlib and
>> bzip2... but now I get linking errors with bzip2. It complains that
>> __thiscall boost::iostreams::detail::bzip2_base::~bzip2_base and
>> several other functions in bzip2_base are not implemented...
>
> It looks like these are defined in libboost_iostreams...
>
> Can you check whether bzip2.cpp is actually being added to the
> sources towards the bottom of the Jamfile?
>
> In Christ,
> Steven Watanabe

Problem went away with this command line:

bjam iostreams toolset=msvc-9.0 variant=debug,release link=static,shared
-sHAS_ZLIB=1 -sHAS_BZIP2=1 -sZLIB_INCLUDE=D:/nan/compress
ion/zlib/zlib123-dll/include
-sZLIB_LIBPATH=D:/nan/compression/zlib/zlib123-dll/lib
-sZLIB_SOURCE=D:/nan/compression/zlib/zlib-1.2.3
-sBZIP2_INCLUDE=D:/nan/compression/bz2/bzip2-1.0.5
-sBZIP2_LIBPATH=D:/nan/compression/bz2/bzip2-1.0.5
-sBZIP2_SOURCE=D:/nan/compression/bz2/bzip2-1.0.5 stage

Maybe the explicit calls to variant and link forced a missing lib to be
built.

Thanks for your help.

Andy