Subject: [Boost-users] How do I build with an alternate compiler location?
From: Eric Brown (ebrown_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-23 05:02:57

I'm trying to build on freebsd 4. (Those are my production machines,
so I'm stuck.)

The default install is gcc 2.95 and freebsd's old ports tree contains
patches to build boost's libraries. However, when I try to include
boost include files, it inevitably complains about any number of
templates gcc can't grok.

I suppose I can maybe build the libs with gcc 2.95 and my code with
gcc 3.4.6, but I'd rather build boost with 3.4.6 too. Plus, the
patches are for boost 1.32 and I'd rather use a later version of boost.

However, gcc34 installs into /usr/local/bin/gcc34 and a bunch of
include files I'd usually specify -I directives in my CXXFLAGS in my
makefile. I'm just not clear how to set these overrides for bjam. I've
looked at the bjam docs, but it just seems a lot more complicated than
it should be.

Cheers,
Eric