Subject: Re: [Boost-users] How do I build with an alternate compiler location?
From: Juergen Hunold (juergen.hunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-24 09:25:47

Hi Eric.

On Saturday 23 May 2009, Eric Brown wrote:
> The default install is gcc 2.95 and freebsd's old ports tree contains
> patches to build boost's libraries. However, when I try to include
> boost include files, it inevitably complains about any number of
> templates gcc can't grok.

yeah, gcc-2.95 is way too old...

> I suppose I can maybe build the libs with gcc 2.95 and my code with
> gcc 3.4.6, but I'd rather build boost with 3.4.6 too. Plus, the
> patches are for boost 1.32 and I'd rather use a later version of
> boost.

I remember frequent ABI-changes during the gcc-3.x evolution. You most
probably get incompatible libraries. So it might be all or nothing.

> However, gcc34 installs into /usr/local/bin/gcc34 and a bunch of
> include files I'd usually specify -I directives in my CXXFLAGS in my
> makefile. I'm just not clear how to set these overrides for bjam.
> I've looked at the bjam docs, but it just seems a lot more
> complicated than it should be.

Well, Volodya already posted the link. Should be straightforward with
current Boost release (works here for gcc-4.4 on SuSE-11.0)

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold       ! Ingenieurgesellschaft für
* voice: ++49 511 262926 57       ! Verkehrs- und Eisenbahnwesen mbH