Subject: [Boost-users] Why does bind have overhead?
From: Joseph Garvin (joseph.h.garvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-04 10:14:50

I've read that bind can have significant overhead unless your
parameters are small (because then it can use the small buffer
optimization). But why does it have anymore overhead than copying the
parameters and assigning a function pointer? I suspect support for
something (maybe member function pointers + multiple inheritance?) is
responsible but I'm not sure what. I tried looking through bind.hpp
but trying to figure out what it's actually doing amongst all the
compiler workarounds and different parameter versions it's difficult
to tell what's going on.