Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [bjam] Building Regex with static runtime linking
From: Max (more4less_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-11 03:13:55

> > No. I think it's not a difficult task to change the solution
configuration
> > of ICU to
> > get the static libs. But I don't know whether I need to specially change
the
> > names
> > of resulting static version libs to make them in line with those
expected by
> > bjam.
>
> [BTW, bjam is a low-level, and dumb, build engine. You are talking about
> Boost.Build
> here].

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the clarification.

> Boost.Build will use icucore.lib on the command line (and similar for
other
> libraries).
> MSVC does not have a way to explicitly request static or shared variant.
>
> > Probably the author of the bjam building scripts can tell immediately
the
> > answer
> > without even having a look at the code. :-)
>
> See above.

Thanks for the quick answer. What I meant is that I guess the static lib of
icucore
is possible to need a trailing 's' or so to cooperate with regex, just as a
postfix of
'd' is often used to mark the debug version of a lib.

> > Static version of the unicode-enabled regex is not a must-have of me so
far.
> > Any
> > time that becomes the case, I will have a more deeper test.
> >
> > Thank you all for your help.
>
> I'd suggest that you and John figure out what behaviour is right.
Implementing
> pretty
> much everything is trivial, but I don't know anything about ICU so don't
know
> what's
> right.

I think the support of static ICU-enabled regex would make regex more
seamless.
That being said, I guess John is the right person to figure it out. :-)

B/Rgds
Max