Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Using boost with windows mobile 5 or 6.
From: Andrew Schweitzer (a.schweitzer.grps_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-23 16:41:45

Matt Schuckmann wrote:
> I'm currently trying to use boost in my Windows Mobile 5/6 (aka WinCE)

me too

> project and I'm having some real problems.

me too

> Note the project is a port of
> a C++ library that is currently used in a Windows application and a
> Linux application.
>
> First let me say I'm using boost 1.37 and Visual Studio 2005 (VC 8), I'm
> not currently using STLPort.
>
> The specific libraries I'm trying to use are Thread, State machine and
> to some extent Date Time (mostly because Thread makes use of date_time)
>
> I'm not finding much of concrete info on how to go about doing thiss.

This has details and how far I've been able to get:

> The most help has come from the VeecoFTC regression build setup but that
> just got me to the point of building the boost library for the thread
> project.
> However, when I try to use thread in my project I run into problems
> specificly:
> * Wince does not implement std::localtime or std::gmtime which are used
> by the boost versions of localtime and gmtime in c_time.hpp. (Thread
> appears to depend on this via the date_time library)

I got thread to build but haven't actually tried using it. I probably
hacked those out... don't remember. We will need an implementation.

> * Wince does not implement the standard library file locale. Most of the
> problems caused by this are solved be defining BOOST_NO_STD_LOCAL
> however the files compare.hpp and replace.hpp in boost/algorithm/string/
> both don't respect the BOOST_NO_STD_LOCAL and they use std::locale a lot.

I don't know if I didn't see this because I'm not using the stuff that
calls it yet

> Has anyone else gotten round these problems and if so what did you do?
> I've never been clear on why many people appear to be using STLPort with
> boost with winCE (or at least the VeecoFTC build is) is that something
> I should be doing? If so can I do it just for my WinCE builds?

Not 100% sure, but I think even with latest CE, STLport might have more
of standard. Possibly iostreams.