Subject: Re: [Boost-users] building boost with unsupported compiler
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-24 06:56:44

McLemon, Sean wrote:

> Yep we really do have a completely different compiler\toolchain from any
> currently present, with different switches to GCC, different extensions
> for compiled objects etc.

Then, you really need a new toolset module. However, I suggest basing it on
something simple, for example acc.jam. The gcc support is one of the most
complex in Boost.Build, in part because gcc works both on Linux and Windows.

> Of course bjam doesn't need to be built for the target architecture :)
> It's just that while poking around it looked like bjam needed to have
> some knowledge about the toolchains it was building for and I suspected
> that the .jam files in the directory I mentioned earlier were a means to
> do this. Effectively I want to take steps to make our tools one of the
> "Builtin tools", mentioned in the help here:
> http://www.boost.org/boost-build2/doc/html/bbv2/reference/tools.html, so
> our customers can build Boost with our tools without any fuss.

You just have to drop a new module into tools directory, and then configure it
in user-config.jam, e.g.:

        using your_compiler : 1.0 : /usr/local/bin/yourcompiler ;

and then build with

        bjam toolset=your_compiler

If you have any problems, feel free to ask. I suggest we follow up on
a dedicated list for Boost.Build -- boost-build_at_lists.boost.org.

- Volodya