Subject: [Boost-users] [Locks/Mutex] choices between types
From: Axel (axel.azerty_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-01 11:08:43

Hello

This post may not be well suited to this mailing list.
I have some questions about the lockable concept provided in boost.
There are many "lock" types, and many "mutex" types.
My main question is then : when should I chose a given lock type rather
a given mutex type ?
Given the fact that some of lock types are not thread-safe, if only one
thread needs locks, why should I use one of these lock types and why
shouldnt I use some mutex type ?

Finally, what were the goals of providing so much different ways to
lock/unlock resources ? (I may not be aware of all the concepts related
to secure resource access)

Since the "lock" et "mutex" types provide ways to lock/unlock access to
resources, why are not these types defined under the same name ? Are the
concepts they implements much more different than I think ?

Thanks
Axel