Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost autolinkig issue - library names on vc9?
From: Maróy Ákos (akos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-13 11:33:49

Dear Volodya,

> Did you check the getting started guide or google for solution? This is
> a common problem and I would like to understand why it's coming up repeatedly
> and what we can improve.

yes, I have. I have already built boost on a number of platforms (Linux
32 and 64 bit, Mac OS X, and Windows using mingw and visual studio). I
even build boost using a cross-compiler (on a Linux host for mingw) I
wouldn't consider myself an expert on the subject, but I read through a
number of documentation resources.

>> with the boost-pything library. the boost build process generates
>> libraries of the name: libboost_XXX-vc90-mt-gd-1_39.lib
>
> This is static debug version.

yes, this what I need at the moment

>> and the like,
>> but interestingly autolinkig fails with the following message:
>>
>> 1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
>> 'boost_python-vc90-mt-gd-1_39.lib'
>
> This is (import library for) shared debug version, which is not built by
> default. You can either use static Boost libraries, by making sure
> BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK, or similar, macros are not defined, or build shared
> versions of Boost libraries, using additional link=shared option to Boost.Build.
>
> Let me know if this helps.

can you be more specific in terms of "BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK, or similar,
macros are not defined"? should I add sone #undef statement in my source
code? should add some parameter to the compiler to define some macro?

Aks