Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Spirit 1.39 compilation times (avi)
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-21 14:10:21

> Can someone explain why the compilation times are faster under
> Spirit2.1

Spirit2.1 is a complete rewrite of Spirit2. It has been designed with
compilation times in mind to overcome the heavy compilation requirements of
V2.

> I have noticed that even boost 1.39 references spirit qi,  can I assume
> that faster compile times are due to moving from spirit classic to
> spirit qi ?

Overall, Spirit2.1 (i.e. Spirit.Qi) requires longer compilation times than
Spirit.Classic (1.x), still. OTOH the created parsers are faster than those
created by Spirit.Classic. Additionally, Spirit2.1 grammars are more easy to
modularize. Fair tradeoffs, as usual...

So the answer is no.

> More importantly can we intermix classic and qi grammars, if not are
> there any migration notes, to help users

Don't mix Spirit2.1 and Spirit.Classic in a single grammar. It is possible
to mix and match both in an application as long as they are used in
different grammars, though.

Regards Hartmut