Subject: [Boost-users] synchronous vs asynchronous...
From: Ozgur Ozturk (ozgur7_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-23 17:26:00

Hi,
     I am kind of new to multithreaded programming and network programming,
so I had some difficulty with the examples.
     Can you confirm an epiphany I had?
- I was thinking I had to use the asynchronous functions to handle multiple
clients, now I understand that you can achieve same things with synchoronous
ones w/ threads and you can write equally efficient code?.
(It is only a different pattern; some people find the code more manageable
the async way, since they don't need to handle threads themselves.) Is this
new understanding true?

- If no (if there is some efficiency difference), is it significant?
(Otherwise, for the initial prototype of our software, I may use still use
synchronous sockets w/ threads, since I am still not very comfortable with
async.)

Best regards,
Ozgur (Oscar) Ozturk
www.DrOzturk.com