Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost book
From: Scott Gifford (sgifford_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-14 23:33:49

Björn Karlsson <Bjorn.Karlsson_at_[hidden]> writes:

[...]

> I would love to know what everyone here wants from a new (general)
> Boost book. (Feel free to contact me off list with your thoughts.)

I can usually find detailed API docs online OK, and often code
samples. What can be hard is getting a high-level overview of what's
available, learning scenarios that the different classes were designed
for, and finding the details that would let you decide which to use.

For example, I can easily find the methods for shared_ptr, but what
are the circumstances where I might want to use that? And when do I
use auto_ptr vs. shared_ptr? Things that I know now after using both
for awhile, but didn't know when I first started out.

Basically, what would be useful to me would be the advice of an
experienced C++/Boost programmer on how to get the most out of boost.

As far as individual libraries, thorough documentation on asio would
be very useful.

Hope this feedback is helpful!

-----Scott.