Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost book
From: toreason_at_[hidden]
Date: 2009-08-15 00:22:11

I would like to see Not too complex or complete
'use cases'
with

ASIO
Regular expressions
Spirit
file io,
threads
documentation and logging frameworks
serialization

It would be good if each one of those examples, actually
'repeat' the use of some fundamental stuff
-- so that reader of the book
can get the taste of how
shared pointers, functors, lambda functions, etc get to be
applied in all of those examples.

I had difficulties understanding how serialization works
on std::set of shared pointers, for example,

I would have not been able to use ASIO without the help of PION library
(threaded http server built on top of asio)

Examples of how to use thread local data storage were not intuitive to
me either, typically thread local data storage is used to bind something
like a File or DB connection to a thread -- and an example of such
concept would be nice.

Spirit is extremely useful thing to have, but of course
has some learning curve, it has some good examples. However introducing
the users to it 'lightly' in the context of the book would be nice.
Things that are really 'unnatural' to do with regular expressions like
'balanced' parenthesis matching/etc are a lot more natural with Spirit.
It would help users to understand the difference between a regular
expressions and a full blown parser.

There are several constant questions on the list about what I consider
horrible omission of C++ standard

UTF-8/16, Database access, JSON,XML parsing, RMI (remote method
invocation) (surprisingly almost all of these things require to have
'Reflection' functionality in the core language).
I know those things are not covered by Boost, but perhaps mentioning
them and recommending a comparative overview of what's out there --
would be nice.

Because Boost is not considered just as 'yet-another library' -- instead
it is for us, the poor C++ programmers, that are bombarded with 'why not
Java or C#' -- an escape, a show-case and a standard what C++ could be
-- if would not be managed by ISO standardization committee all these
years.