Subject: [Boost-users] Boost interprocess named mutexes
From: Mike Spertus (mike_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-15 21:29:25

I am seeing the following problems with Boost interprocess named
mutexes on Windows.

1. As mentioned in my other threads, interprocess mutexes do not provide
mutual exclusion between processes run by different users. The reason
for this is the shared memory mappings backing the mutexes are placed in
different directories.

2. If a process crashes while holding a mutex, no other process can
subsequently acquire the mutex.

3. Although the documentation says that mutexes have process
persistence, they appear to have filesystem persistence. This means that
is a process or system crashes while the mutex is held, the mutex is
permanently unavailable (without deleting it).

Are these accurate statements? If so, could these be addressed by having
Boost::interprocess use Win32 named mutexes (which I understand to have
none of these defects) like it uses pthread mutexes on Linux?

Thanks,

Mike