Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost interprocess named mutexes
From: Mike Spertus (mike_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-16 20:50:41

Ion Gaztanaga wrote:
> Mike Spertus escribió:
> > I am seeing the following problems with Boost interprocess named
> > mutexes on Windows.
>
> > 3. Although the documentation says that mutexes have process
> > persistence, they appear to have filesystem persistence. This means that
> > is a process or system crashes while the mutex is held, the mutex is
> > permanently unavailable (without deleting it).
>
> The documentation says kernel or filesystem persistence for "named mutex":
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/doc/html/interprocess/some_basic_explanations.html#interprocess.some_basic_explanations.persistence

Hi Ion,
Sorry, I misread that doc page. You are of course correct. What do you
think of my suggestion to use a Windows mutex to back a boost
interprocess named mutex? Since "abandoned Windows mutexes" are
automatically released by Windows, we see substantially fewer hangs when
we use Windows mutexes.

Thanks,

Mike