Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost 1.40 beta, serialization via base pointer crashes
From: Avi Bahra (avibahra_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-19 03:51:09

> Is the "latest AIX v10.1 compiler" the same as the IBM VaCPP used in the
trunk tests? These
> tests show that compiler failing a number of tests which use export. This
has been traced
>to the compiler optimizing out code not explicitly referred to.
>
>Robert Ramey

 I am not familiar with the trunk tests. However XL 10.1.0.3 AIX is the
latest C++ compiler. This
use vacpp as the bjam toolset argument. But internally I gather it uses xlC.

When I ran the sample in the Totalview(debugger) it shows the following.

Can't read type info for "basic_pointer_oserializer": Expecting mangled
name, and didn't find one.
Can't read type info for "basic_pointer_iserializer": Expecting mangled
name, and didn't find one.
Can't read type info for
"singleton<boost__archive__detail__<unnamed>__guid_initializer<RepeatBase>
>": Expecting ":", and didn't find one.
Can't read type info for
"singleton<boost__archive__detail__<unnamed>__guid_initializer<RepeatDerived>
>": Expecting ":", and didn't find one.
Can't read type info for
"singleton_wrapper<boost__archive__detail__<unnamed>__guid_initializer<RepeatBase>
>": Expecting ":", and didn't find one.
Can't read type info for
"singleton_wrapper<boost__archive__detail__<unnamed>__guid_initializer<RepeatDerived>
>": Expecting ":", and didn't find one.
Can't read type info for "error_info_container": Expecting mangled name, and
didn't find one.
Can't read type info for "init_guid<RepeatBase>": Expecting ":", and didn't
find one.
Can't read type info for "init_guid<RepeatDerived>": Expecting ":", and
didn't find one.

>From your reply your saying that this is a compiler bug
Do you know if any defect report has been raised ?
Is there any workaround that stops the compiler doing these optimisation.

If not is there possibility of changing the serialization code ?

  Best regards,
Ta,
   Avi