Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost 1.40 beta, serialization via base pointer crashes
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-19 13:03:42

  "Avi Bahra" <avibahra_at_[hidden]> wrote in message news:af1b101f0908190051v48cf1c68yf68d65a75f84996b_at_mail.gmail.com...
> Is the "latest AIX v10.1 compiler" the same as the IBM VaCPP used in the trunk tests? These
> tests show that compiler failing a number of tests which use export. This has been traced
>to the compiler optimizing out code not explicitly referred to.
>
>Robert Ramey

   I am not familiar with the trunk tests. However XL 10.1.0.3 AIX is the latest C++ compiler.

  http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/serialization_.html

  From your reply your saying that this is a compiler bug

  Export facility depends upon non-portable C++ features. Not all compilers support these features.

  Do you know if any defect report has been raised ?

  I believe that the development team for this compiler is aware of this situation.

  Is there any workaround that stops the compiler doing these optimisation.

  Consider using explicity type registration in the archive. This is totally portable to all C++ compilers.

  If not is there possibility of changing the serialization code ?

  I don't believe that it's possible. I don't have the compiler. And I couldn't justifty the time in any case
  Robert Ramey

    Best regards,
  Ta,
     Avi