Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [spirit] how to get_position() from a multi_pass<position_iterator <const char*> >
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-23 00:09:04

Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
> Edward,
>
>>> We consider Spirit V2 to be a beta version and the docs themselves
>> are not
>>> complete. This will be rectified with Boost V1.41, where the docs
>> will be
>>> complete and Spirit V2.1 will officially replace Spirit.Classic
>> (whose docs
>>> will be 'hidden' from that point on).
>> I do not think it is wise to hide documentation when you want people to
>> try a product in Beta. How is anybody supposed to find the docs when
>> you
>> suggest to them to try Spirit 2.0 or Spirit 2.1. Somewhere, on some web
>> page centered around Spirit, you should actually have links to the 2.0
>> and 2.1 docs such as they are.
>
> The main reason for hiding those docs was that these are very incomplete. If
> you compare them to the docs I pointed the OP to you'll see what I mean.
>
> We made sure everybody asking for Spirit V2.1 got directions on how to find
> the current docs. We have had really active discussions about the beta on
> the Spirit mailing list for over a year now. Many people participated. We
> wrote a lot of examples and hundreds of very illustrative tests for
> interested people to look at. But I agree, all this is no excuse for not
> publishing the links more prominently.
>
>> If I search for Spirit, I find a Spirit home page at
>> http://spirit.sourceforge.net/, but good luck in finding 2.0 or 2.1
>> docs
>> from there. I can also find Spirit mentioned at the Boost home page at
>> http://www.boost.org/, but again I will not find the 2.0 or 2.1 docs
>> from there either.
>
> As said, I agree we could have done a better job of advertising the newer
> version. Spirit V2.1 is a huge library and we rewrote it thrice before it
> actually reached the current state. Writing documentation for it is an
> extremely time consuming thing (I'm working on it for 4 month daily 1-2h
> now). So please excuse if we didn't find the proper amount of time to
> adequately publishing what we did so far. Joel and I want to get the docs
> out and will concentrate on public relations as soon as this is done.
>
>> As far as the docs not being complete, and their eventually being
>> complete when Boost 1.41 comes out, please excuse me for disagreeing
>> that is the way to create Beta software.
>
> Sorry, I didn't get your point. What do you mean here?
>
>> I realize how hard you and Joel
>> have worked creating and updating Spirit, but I myself have just grown
>> tired, after many years of programming, of implementations whose use is
>> suggested but whose docs are never up to par.
>
> I believe the current documentation, even if not 100% complete, is
> nevertheless a excellent starting point for everybody interested in Spirit.
> It provides sufficient information to get started and we try to be very
> responsive on the Spirit mailing list if additional questions arise. So I
> [...]

I object to your saying above that my comments are a "rant".

I am not offended. I was merely arguing that supplying software for
Boost users, even Beta versions, should be more open as to where the
documentation resides and that documentation should be complete.

You are perfectly right in that if I am not happy with the documentation
of the new versions I should stick with the current release of Spirit,
which I will do.