Subject: Re: [Boost-users] BGL new graph type implementation trouble
From: Sebastian Weber (sebastian.weber_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-02 12:27:23

Hi!

> I'll assume you aren't talking about const/non-const since that can be done
> with an overload.
>
> As a matter of fact, there is. I added a framework for compile-time
> mutability properties of graphs that (kind of) parallels the mutability
> concepts (in graph_concepts, not the documentation), Basically, it assigns
> tag classes to graphs based on their ability to add and remove vertices and
> edges with or without properties.
>
> You can specialize the graph_mutability_traits for your derived type. There
> are also a number of metafunctions, graph_has_remove_vertex and
> is_mutable_graph.
>
> The mutability traits aren't actually used outside the BGL tests. They
> could be, but there aren't really that many generic mutating algorithms.
>
> Naturally, it's all undocumented :)

This is what I was looking for! Thanks! I really have to reexplore the files
and not only rely on the documentation...

Another issue: My custom graph seems to work quite nice, but my application
slowed down by a factor of 10 or something similiar. The reason is, at least
as I understand, that my vertex_descriptor is now an array which is costly
to copy around. However, the vertex_descriptors are passed almost everywhere
by value such that the structure gets copied over and over resulting in the
performance degradation. Is there a simple trick to avoid this? It would be
very helpful if tere is an easy way...

> Thanks for the hint of the quickbook documents in the trunk - I went
>> through the process of generating the docs and there is a slight typo in the
>> qbk-files: It fails to compile the stuff since it assumes the examples to be
>> in the directory examples, but they are in the example (singular) directory.
>> A symlink solved it for me, but it ought to be corrected.
>>

> Still working on it. I think I merged all of the quickbook examples into
> the example directory and forgot to update the links.

Thought you'd like to know...

>> Still the vertex_all stuff would be nice to know about. Any hint would be
>> great.
>>

> I'll look into it.

Looking forward to it.

Sebastian