Subject: Re: [Boost-users] graphlib changes in 1.40
From: Jeremiah Willcock (jewillco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-08 12:36:32

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Ralph Gauges wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use the graph library in some of my programs and I recently moved to
> boost 1.40 because older version did not work on snow leopard.
>
> I noticed that although the changelog does not mention any changes in
> the graph library, some of the layout algorithms have changes (e.g.
> random layout and fruchterman reingold)
> in the way they are called. They seem to use some new topology concept,
> unfortunately the documentation for those algorithms have not been updated.
>
> I was wondering if there is any updated documentation especially on the
> fruchterman reingold algorithm. I tried to guess what the new parameters
> mean, but so far I have not been able to
> get the same results as with the graph library from 1.39. No matter how
> I set the values so far, all my nodes end up essentially in the same
> place, although they are all disconnected and I would expect them to be
> spread out.

The new parameters should pretty much match up to the old ones except that
the topology parameter allows a more general specification of your output
region than a simple width/height pair (allowing more shapes, for
example). There could be a bug if your are unable to reproduce the old
behavior. What call were you using with the old version? I will try to
translate it over so you can test it out.

-- Jeremiah Willcock