Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [BGL] Modern benchmarks available?
From: Nick Edmonds (ngedmond_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-08 18:23:35

On Oct 6, 2009, at 8:40 AM, Andrew Sutton wrote:

> I'm evaluating the Boost Graph Library for a project would like to
> present my manager with some benchmark numbers. The only ones I have
> been able to find are from the GGCL OOPSLA paper, and those are pretty
> out of date. Does anybody know of any modern work at benchmarking BGL
> performance?
>
> I am looking at adjacency lists with sets in particular, but anything
> is better than nothing. I realize that I may just have to give big-O
> estimates in the end (because it is all dependent on the graph
> structure), but any estimates would help me for my initial evaluation.
>
> It would be nice to have standing performance benchmarks for the
> BGL - and other libraries for that matter. Alas... My guess is that
> you might be able extrapolate (estimate?) current timings from the
> OOPSLA paper by accounting for modern hardware. There haven't been
> any drastic changes to the underlying implementations since then.
>
> Sticking with big-O will probably give you the best general sense
> of performance.
>
> However, you might consider that using sets will cause more dynamic
> allocations, which will affect your bottom line performance (but
> not by orders of magnitude).

What benchmarks would you like to see? I've implemented the SSCA
(Scalable Synthetic Compact Applications) #2 benchmark from the Darpa
high productivity initiative in Parallel BGL, making it work for
sequential BGL should only require removing some of the non-
applicable parallel code, and possibly changing the call to
betweenness_centrality(). It's intended as a parallel benchmark and I
don't think it's particularly complete, but it's one of the few graph
benchmarks I know of.

The SSCA #2 code is in libs/graph_parallel/test.

-Nick