Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [BGL] Modern benchmarks available?
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-06 08:40:56

> I'm evaluating the Boost Graph Library for a project would like to
> present my manager with some benchmark numbers. The only ones I have
> been able to find are from the GGCL OOPSLA paper, and those are pretty
> out of date. Does anybody know of any modern work at benchmarking BGL
> performance?
>
> I am looking at adjacency lists with sets in particular, but anything
> is better than nothing. I realize that I may just have to give big-O
> estimates in the end (because it is all dependent on the graph
> structure), but any estimates would help me for my initial evaluation.

It would be nice to have standing performance benchmarks for the BGL - and
other libraries for that matter. Alas... My guess is that you might be able
extrapolate (estimate?) current timings from the OOPSLA paper by accounting
for modern hardware. There haven't been any drastic changes to the
underlying implementations since then.

Sticking with big-O will probably give you the best general sense of
performance.

However, you might consider that using sets will cause more dynamic
allocations, which will affect your bottom line performance (but not by
orders of magnitude).

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]