Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Formal Review of Boost.Polygon extended one more week: until September 9, 2009
From: Olivier Tournaire (olitour_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-10 04:01:25

Hi,

2009/10/10 Diederick C. Niehorster <dcnieho_at_[hidden]>

> Hi All,
>
> I m wondering about the status of the polygon library, on the review
> process page it still syas pending.
> I am in no position to judge the quality of the library (better leave
> that to the professionals), but I can say I am looking forward to
> using it!
>
> What is the best way of using sandbox libraries that might be accepted
> into the boost libraries soon? Should I just download it from the
> sandbox and put it in between the other boost libraries, or will that
> give me issues when I later run svn update when the library is
> accepted?
>
> Lastly, I have some questions regarding the documentation. In Polygon
> set concept, a sentence reading "A Polygon Set Concept may be defined
> with floating point coordinates, but a snap rounding distance of one
> integer unit will still be applied, furthermore, geometry outside the
> domain where one integer unit is sufficient to provide robustness may
> lead to undefined behavior in algorithms" appears. This seems to be
> talking about the polygons themselves, not specifically the polygon
> set, and i find it worrying. I would need to use polygons defined by
> floating point vertices and I do not want them to be rounded or
> truncated to integers. For now, I only need to test if a point is
> inside the given polygon. Is this robust for points and
> polygon-vertices that do not lay on an integer grid?
>
> Best and thanks!
> Diederick

If you are looking for exact geometry algorithms, you may consider using
CGAL (www.cgal.org) which is highly generic and customizable. However, it
might be to "rich" if you only use polygons. Take a look at this particular
package
http://www.cgal.org/Manual/3.5/doc_html/cgal_manual/contents.html#part_VI

Regards,

Olivier